My loved one left behind a will. What do I do?

The will should name an executor. The executor’s job is to collect the assets, pay the deceased’s debts, and distribute any remaining assets according to the provisions of the will. Once the executor has been determined, that person must then file a Petition for Probate and Letters Testamentary. The Petition for Probate and Letters Testamentary must be filed along with the original will and death certificate in the Surrogate’s Court. The Petition for Probate and Letters Testamentary lists pertinent information about the deceased and his or her family, and assets. Usually this filing must be done in the Surrogate’s Court in the deceased’s home county. Once the Letters Testamentary have been granted, the executor has the authority to proceed with the estate’s administration and settlement.

This entry was posted in Wills & Estates. Bookmark the permalink. Post a comment or leave a trackback: Trackback URL.

Post a Comment

Your email is never published nor shared. Required fields are marked *


You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>